Ladybird Living – Your London Estate Agent

Ladybird Living
Jan 04 2023

Landlord Health and Safety Certificates

As a property owner, you will face many challenges and even confusion particularly when thinking about which health and safety certificates are required by law. Compliance is not only essential for the safety of tenants, but also may lead to penalties if you fail to comply. 

This blog will briefly outline all the health & safety certificates required by law for property owners in England & Wales. 


  1. Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) 

Property owners in England and Wales have been legally required to present tenants with an EPC before they sign the tenancy agreement since October 2008. An EPC is important because it shows how energy efficient a property is by using a rating system ranging from A-G, with G being the least efficient.  


  1. Gas Safety Certificate (CP12) 

It is a legal requirement for property owners to conduct a gas safety check annually with the support of a qualified gas safety engineer. Once all checks are done, a certificate will be provided which outlines all the checks that were conducted and will highlight any issues that should be addressed. Property owners have the responsibility of providing a copy of the CP12 to their tenants within 28 days of the gas safety check. 


  1. Electrical Safety Certificate (EICR)  

Since April 2021, it has been a requirement for all private rented properties in England to have an EICR. A copy of the EICR should be provided to tenants at the start of the tenancy. EICRs should be conducted every 5 years.  


  1. Legionella Risk Assessment 

Since Legionella is a bacteria that is found in the water systems in homes and may have detrimental health consequences, it is a legal requirement to also conduct a Legionella Risk Assessment. The assessment will be used to identify any potential risks from legionella growth. Property owners should conduct this assessment every 2 years.  


T +44 (0)203 488 1488 



Recent Posts

January 2023